Try this simple recipe at home and wow your friends and family!
What do you need?
200 grams Sugar
2 pieces Vanilla Pod
350 grams of Fresh Cream
550 grams of Fresh Milk
10 Egg Yolks
3 Pandan Leaves*, chopped
Green Food Coloring
How to make it?
- Scrape the vanilla bean. Mix together half of the sugar, cream, milk, the chopped pandan leaves, and the vanilla bean
- Stir over medium heat, bring to boil
- Mix half of the sugar together with the egg yolks
- Temper the egg yolk mix with the hot mixture by pouring it slowly into the egg while stirring to prevent curdling
- Strain the mixture, put a drop of green food coloring
- Put the mixture into the ramekins
- Bake with water bath for 55 minutes (180 C), cover with aluminium foil to prevent the surface from browning
- To see if it is ready, shake the ramekin and if the middle part is still, the brulee is ready
- To serve the brulee, pour a packet of sugar on top and caramelize it by using a torch or put it under a broiler
- Garnish with mini biscotti and pandan leaves
*If you cannot find fresh pandan leaves, you can use pandan essence – a dash will do. It usually come in green color so you may not need the food coloring.
Try and mix other flavor into this recipe and you can easily come up with different varieties such as ginger, lemongrass or even infused a bag of tea into the mixture to make a tea flavored creme brulee!